Maryland is 12,407 square miles of rich and wild history. For example, did you know our state dessert is the Smith Island Cake? It’s a cake that was originally made on Smith Island, and there’s between eight and 15 layers all separated by thick icing. Here’s some more fun facts about Maryland.
- Jousting was the states national sport until it was switched to lacrosse in 2004.
- National Bohemian (a.k.a. Natty Boh), native Baltimore brewery, was the first company to use the six-pack of beer.
- The Johns Hopkins School of Medicine was the first to employ a female professor of medicine in 1901, her name was Florence Rena Sabin.
- The highest point in Maryland is 3,360 feet above see level on top of Backbone Mountain, and the lowest is 174 feet below sea level in Bloody Point Hole.
- Annapolis is known as the Sailing Capital of the World.
- The first dental school in the United States was in the University of Maryland.
- BWI Airport used to be called Friendship International Airport.
Maryland is pretty unique and cool, isn’t it? Find out more interesting facts here!